Pages

Thursday, April 16, 2015

Interchurch Families Official Response to 2015 Synod on the Family


I've written about living in an interchurch family elsewhere on this blog; my wife, Kim, is Episcopalian and I am Roman Catholic. In recent months, and due in no small part to the fact that my oldest son is now at "First Communion" age, I've been reading up on the work being done by the Interchurch Families International Network (IFIN) regarding the challenges and joys faced by interchurch families like mine. I'm now on the list serve for the network, and have made contacts with a few of the members.

Led by Professor Thomas Knieps, who is on the Faculty of Theology and Religious Study at Leuven, IFIN released an official response to the Synod on the Family that includes some concrete hopes regarding how the upcoming Synod in October 2015 will address interchurch familial issues. I've read through the text, and endorse it entirely. The text deals head-on with terminological issues (we prefer 'interchurch marriage' rather than 'mixed marriage'), marital counseling for interchurch couples, the complications of raising children in an interchurch family, and - most importantly from my perspective - the possibility of greater Eucharistic sharing in interchurch families.

I hope to write more about the issues addressed in this text, which I've attached below (with Prof. Knieps' permission). In the meantime, I encourage you to give it a read.

No comments:

Post a Comment