Pages

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

The Abbey of Gethsemani in Prayer

It is to me truly remarkable that, having had Merton as a constant companion for many years, I now find myself living only a short distance away from the Abbey of Gethsemani.  I try to spend as much time as I can at the Abbey -  even if only for a day - to read, to hike, to pray, and to converse with one or two of the monks who have become good friends.  I will long remember the time I spent alongside students in Merton's hermitage on a cold November evening, talking about Merton's poetry with Br. Paul Quenon around a roaring fire.

Br. Lawrence Morey, the novice master for the community, recently posted a video of the community singing Terce, and I thought I'd re-post it below.  I like the video very much, both because of the shots Br. Lawrence took of the monastery and because of the way he incorporated images of each monk singing the office.  If you've never been to the Abbey of Gethsemani before, the video gives a lovely introduction.  If you have been, the video will allow you to reminisce.

No comments:

Post a Comment